If you are a seasoned hunter or fisherman, you will know that having high quality equipment with you is vital for safety and success. Even outside of these sports, any ventures out into the wilderness or onto the water warrants preparation with good quality products. No matter how experienced you are, things can easily go awry. Plus, you are much more likely to make a great catch if you have the right gear to go with you. Here are some key points about the importance of high quality equipment for fishing!
- Water Safety Equipment
We all know that the water is not safe, however familiar we are with the place we are fishing. This means that no matter how rushed your day has been, or your level of experience, it is essential to carry the following items out on the water with you:
- Life jackets. Check your life jackets once in a while – have they become moth-eaten? Are they still fit for use? You never know when the situation could arise when you desperately need it.
- Signalling devices like a flare. Make sure you have fully working signalling devices on the boat with you, in case of an emergency.
- A fully charged phone, or radio if you’re old fashioned! Being able to contact shore in some way is essential for safety when out on the water.
- One or more throwable floatation devices. On top of carrying life jackets, you will need at least one throwable floatation device for safety.
- Non-frayed, high quality ropes. Ropes such as marlow ropes are essential to have with you; ensure before you leave for a fishing trip that your ropes are not moldy, frayed or otherwise damaged.
- A flashlight with working batteries. If you get caught in an earlier sunset than you thought, having a heavy flashlight with fully working batteries is very important.
- A good quality knife. There aren’t many situations or scenarios in life where it’s important to carry a knife at all times – but fishing is one of them!
Catching a fish isn’t all about the equipment, but it does play a seriously big role in your catch. The rod you carry, its weight and flexibility, should match equally with the type of catch you are looking for. In addition, the fishing hooks you carry should be equally high quality. The hooks, both in strength, shape and overall quality are so essential to good fishing practice; do not skimp on this side of fishing.
Aside from the actual fishing gear itself, your clothing for going out on the water should be highly waterproof, warm and cover you adequately. Even in very hot weather, having clothing which covers your body and hats which cover your face properly is essential for sun protection, as well as keeping you warm when the sun goes down.
No matter how experienced you are in fishing, the apparel, equipment and safety procedures you take with you on any fishing trip will totally change the fishing experience!